Board of Directors Meeting for February 12, 2019

From the Blog

Board of Directors Meeting for February 12, 2019

Board Meeting Minutes

February 12, 2019

Present: John Celona, Serena Cheng,  Brian Emmett, Brad Kellett, Robert Habibi, Ed Hunter, Jim McClelland

Call to Order:
The meeting was called to order at 6:43 pm.

Call for agenda changes:
None

Call for calendar changes:
The next three Board of Director meeting dates were scheduled for April 18, May 21 and June 11.

Call for budget changes:
None

Directors’ Reports

President:
There were only a few updates from the President.  The Hillsborough Concours was referred to Zone 7 concours contact, and was provided concour rules.  Based on feedback received since the previous Directors meeting, the Board re-reviewed the 13-13 rules which are now in effect for all events and clarified any edge cases.  The update from the President concluded with a note he will be attending the PCA National President’s meeting this month

Vice-President:
The update from the Vice President was also brief.  The insurance tracking and submission system for GGR events is now up and running.  There was a small discussion on the specifics of how insurances are issued for different types of events, including social events.  Specifically called out was that if a route is provided for an event, it shall automatically categorized motoring event.

Treasurer:
The Treasurer was not in attendance, but provided an update in advance.  A motion to approve the Treasurer’s report was carried without dissent.

Secretary:
A motion to approve the Secretary’s report of the previous Board meeting minutes from January 17 was carried without dissent.  

Social Director:
There was a comprehensive update from the Social Director about past and upcoming events.  In January there was an event at Paul Martin’s in San Mateo, with a great turnout of about 50 people.  Included in the mix was a large number of local SF Peninsula members, as well as a lot of 30+ year club members.  A full third of the gathering was comprised of new members. The format of a 6-8PM happy hour with drinks paid by the attendee was well received and will be replicated in the future.

Up next is an RRS Motorsports social event in San Jose, where attendees will be offered a breakfast while they meet and greet.  Afterwards, RRS will take the lead on a voluntary, RRS-organized drive to a location in Saratoga or Los Gatos to be determined.

In March we can expect a social event in Palo Alto area.  Stay tuned for details. Also in March, on the 28th, there will be an event in the party room at The Infinity in San Francisco, replete with food, wine and dessert.

Finally, GGR will host a new member event in April, potentially at Steelhead Brewery in Burlingame.  More details are to follow, but pencil in either April 4 or 18.

The Director inquired about the possibility of procuring something to act as an informational stand to bring to event so that new members can be educated about all of GGR’s offerings.  The Director also requested that there was additional Board representation at each of our upcoming events.

Motoring Director:
With planning of the 2019 calendar underway, the update from the Motoring Director was brief.  Our first Fun Run of the Pescadero and Thomas Fogarty winery was well enjoyed, with incredibly positive feedback provided from those in attendance.   Our upcoming second Fun Run to Harris Ranch sold out in slightly more time, taking about 60 minutes.

The Director discussed his thoughts about potentially adjusting event price a little, given ridiculous levels of oversubscription, and the rate at which events sell out.  More details will be forthcoming as those options materialize.

Critical to note is that GGR will be attempting to institutionalize 2-way radios on future Fun Run events, especially for longer trips.  GGR will look into procuring radios for lead and sweep cars, but will also encourage regulars attendees to bring their own as well.

Finally, there was a brief conversation about some of issues around free badges that sometimes occur during event registration.  Further internal discussions will determine if there is, in fact, an issue here.

Track Director:
February’s update from the Track Director was also brief.  The first event of the year is to be held the weekend of February 16th, which is both an instructor training and the first DE of the year.  We will be running the 2 mile course in different directions on both days, which should make it more difficult and useful for instructor training.  Currently registered are 45 cars in 3 run groups with 14 hand-picked instructor candidates in the mix.

Registration for our March DE opened on Feb 9, and we already more registrations than our February event.  March aways proves to be a very popular event.

There is a constant and ongoing dialog about the Club Race at Laguna Seca in July, with a contract currently in progress.  The Track Team’s reconnaissance trip was postponed to March 12, and we’ll anticipate an update some time after that. There have been questions about a Vintage run group for this event, and we believe we need 50 cars to make this feasible.

For our proposed nighttime DE event in 2020 at Thunderhill, discussions are still underway.  Our Tech Talks in conjunction with BR Racing are also performing incredibly well. We had nearly 70 at the first event, and 85 at the second.

AX Director:
In order to continue to distribute remaining trophies which not given out at the Gala, the AX Director rented the back room at Alice’s as a social event and breakfast to hand out several more.  The balance will be distributed at AX#1.

AX#1 will be held on March 17, and there were already 41 registrations as of this date.  The bulk of the registrations were our AX regulars, but we already had 5 new attendees. We can’t wait to see you in March!

The rules changes for this season were discussed, reviewed and unanimously adopted.  Primarily, the showroom stock and women’s classes have been dropped, and the PAX discount for female drivers was also dropped.  Also of note is that the trophies for each class will be limited to the top 3, at the discretion of the Director. There also will be a proposal on offer mid-year in 2019 about potential PAX adjustments for 2020 season.

A few final notes included that a new AX shirt for the 2019 is in the works; all car numbers on the GGR website have been imported into MotorsportReg; and the club donated $2,000 to the Alameda Boys and Girls Club.

Membership Director:  
While not able to attend, the Membership Director was able to provide his update in advance by email.  As of the date of the meeting, GGR had a total membership of 3,464 people, 2,352 of which were primary, 1,108 co-members and 6 lifetime.

A motion to approve all new members was carried unanimously.  

Editor (The Nugget):
The Editor requested that all blog posts be published by February 25, in time for inclusion in this months’ Nugget.

Webmaster:
The Webmasters was not able to attend, but provided her update in advance to the President.  The issues with the website developers still persist, but we anticipate that work restarting on February 15.

We have also starting using the carousel at the top of the current GGR website to do more promotions of our events and offering.   The Webmaster’s update concluded with a note that she is in the process of receiving more dates and will populate the website calendar and will update Facebook and other areas to ensure consistency.

Topics for discussion
None

Adjournment:
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:09 pm.

Comments are closed.