August 2, 2020 Board of Directors
August 2, 2020
Present: John Celona, Canyon Chan, Serena Cheng, Brian Emmett, Chris Hamilton, Jim McClelland, Himanshu Patel, Michael Sherman, Howard Yao.
Call to Order:
The meeting was called to order at 3:10 pm.
Call for agenda changes:
Call for calendar changes:
The Oct 18 Concours d’ Elegance at Porsche Redwood City will be added to website calendar.
Call for budget changes:
Postmortem of Events
Two Autocross events occurred on July 11 and August 1. With limited capped attendance and same expenses, registration fees had to be increased to balance the budget. Both events sold out quickly and were successful.
PCA National Board of Directors meeting happened on 7/13. 160 members attended via videoconference. Issues discussed included:
- Financial report, reduction of club events. Next national event scheduled is 9/16-20 Treffen in West Virginia.
- Trying to keep membership and sponsors engaged. Producing more online events like Tech Talks and Sim Racing. With Parade being cancelled, they plan on having a video awards presentation.
- Lead follow instruction was discussed for DE events as in-car instruction may or may not be allowed depending on the location.
- Hagerty Drive Share program, so you can rent another member’s Porsche when you are travelling out of town.
Event budgets will be simplified in the future as the club will track finances on a cash basis and not on an accruals basis.
Upcoming GGR infrastructure upgrade include: updating the Website, updating our Red Book (our club operating manual). Develop a stronger social media strategy, to better connect with membership.
Complete upgrades include: cleaning up club finances and putting the club on a cash basis, moving Quickbooks accounting online, adding an Instagram reporter, and reengineering the autocross series to streamline all aspects of putting on an event (the last courtesy of Ed Hunter and Himanshu Patel).
Will be submitting insurance for the first Club Race soon. Brian shared a club Budget vs Actual spreadsheet.
A motion to approve the Howard’s previous Board meeting minutes from July 12 was carried without dissent.
Canyon has issued updated financial reports, the Board approved them unanimously.
As of the time of this meeting, PCA GGR had 3492 members. Since the previous meeting, the Club welcomed 43 new members, 44 members dropped out, and 114 members renewed. A motion to approve all new members was carried unanimously.
Relationship with Cow Palace has been positive, hopefully that will help us secure future dates. With limited attendees, we are trying to prioritize registration for PCA members first. Himanshu is now considering using the Turn 5 parking lot at Laguna Seca for future Autocross events. Jim will look into the cost of renting that parking lot. Himanshu is also looking into revamping the car classification system, will present his proposal at the next Board meeting.
This position is still open, if you are interested in taking on this role, please contact any of the Board members for more information.
Himanshu is looking to schedule Fun Runs in the near future.
The next scheduled track events are:
- August 22-23 – Club Race only at Sonoma, 26 racers have registered to date.
- September 5-6 – DE at Laguna, recently raised to a 103db limit. Event will have one Club Race group and three DE run groups. Event is nearly sold out.
- September 26-27 at Thunderhill, DE and Club Race.
President shared in-car instruction information from the Potomac Region for our consideration.
Due to uptick in COVID-19 cases in California, the Club has decided to postpone any social events in the near future.
The August 2020 click-through report was distributed.
New website design will continually be refined with the goal of launching the new website in early 2021.
Topics for discussion
No new business.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:31 pm.
Next Board Meeting September 13th at 3:00 PM will be held via videoconference.